The Student Honors Organization (SHO) serves the UF Honors community by hosting events that promote academic and professional development, community engagement, diversity and inclusivity.
The University of Florida's Student Honors Organization strives to build community and create opportunities within the Honors Program.
SHO serves the UF Honors community by hosting events that promote academic and professional development, community engagement, diversity and inclusivity. SHO's most notable events include the Honors Involvement Conference, Haunted Hume and Luminaire – all of which aim to unite Honors students and provide them with the proper tools for success.
Expectations and Benefits
Each year, SHO selects our university’s top scholars and student leaders to represent the greater Honors community and host the events mentioned above. Honors students interested in serving on one of the three SHO committees can expect to:
- Gain leadership experience
- Create valuable connections with Honors alumni and staff
- Grow personally and professionally
SHO is committed to the safety of the Honors community and will employ various social distancing measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The application process and larger events such as Haunted Hume will be adapted as new information comes.
Dates You Should Know
- Application Cycle: August 23 - September 3
- SHO BBQ: August 22
- Haunted Hume: (October 2021) Exact dates TBA
- Honors Involvement Conference: (January 2022) Exact dates TBA
- Carnival (March 2022) and Luminaire (April 2022): Exact dates TBA
How to Join
SHO membership is valid for a student's entire time in the UF Honors Program. Honors students that entered UF prior to 2021 are SHO members. 2021 lateral admits and incoming students that did not elect to join SHO when they confirmed with the Honors Program may still join.
Apply to become a 2021-2022 SHO board member if you are excited to embrace the Honors community, attend socials, plan events, develop leadership skills, build a strong network and create long-lasting friendships! Applications will be available in August
More information can be found on the SHO Facebook page.
2021 – 2022 SHO Executive board:
- President: Valerie Sheehe
- Vice President of Programs: Jenna Burns
- Vice President of Internal Affairs: Devin Mix
- Secretary: Chase Virta-Steel
- Treasurer: Kevin Allen
- Director of External Communications: Cathrine Pacini
Faculty Advisor: Kristy Spear