The Student Honors Organization (SHO) serves the Honors Program and its members by hosting events that support community engagement.
The University of Florida's Student Honors Organization strives to build community and create opportunities for students in the Honors Program. SHO's most notable events include the Fall BBQ, Honors Involvement Conference, and Luminaire – all of which aim to unite Honors students.
Expectations and Benefits
SHO members enjoy the following benefits-
- SHO t-shirt; option for t-shirt each additional year based on availability
- Early leadership opportunities in SHO - members are eligible to apply for planning committees
- Free food and admission to the many events hosted by SHO
- Discounted rates for Honors outdoor adventures and retreats
- Priority registration access to events
- Membership in a large and very engaged peer network
Dates You Should Know
- SHO BBQ: August 23, 2022
- Honors Involvement Conference: (January) 2022 date TBA
- Luminaire: (April) 2022 date TBA
How to Join
SHO membership is valid for a student's entire time in the UF Honors Program. Honors students that entered UF prior to 2021 are SHO members. Lateral admits and incoming students that did not elect to join SHO when they confirmed with the Honors Program may still join.
More information can be found on the SHO Facebook page.
2022 – 2023 SHO Executive board:
- President: Chase Virta-Steel
- Vice President of Member Engagement: Keelyn Fife
- Vice President of Internal Affairs: Momin Ahmed
- Director of Marketing: Ainslee Nichols
- Secretary: Nicolas Namia
- Treasurer: Anna Theissen
Faculty Advisor: Kristy Spear
Each year, SHO selects our university’s top scholars and student leaders to represent the greater Honors community and host events. Recruitment takes place early in the fall semester. Check the Honors on Wednesday for more information. Honors students interested in serving on SHO can expect to:
- Gain leadership experience
- Create valuable connections with Honors alumni and staff
- Grow personally and professionally