The Luminaries are a group of academically diverse, motivated student leaders who serve as ambassadors of and official tour guides for the UF Honors Program.
The mission of the Luminaries is to educate and engage prospective students to inform enrollment decisions.
Sharing their enthusiasm for Honors, Luminaries work with Honors Program to continually attract creative, intellectually-daring students to our community of uncommon scholars.
Membership Expectations and Benefits
Luminaries are expected to:
- Have a 3.5+ GPA
- Participate as an active member of the University Honors Program
- Maintain a knowledge of Honors including but not limited to Hume Hall and Honors programmatic offerings, opportunities and requirements
- Attend meetings and professional development trainings
- Read and retain the information presented in the weekly Honors on Wednesday email
- Regularly check the Canvas page for announcements, assignments and opportunities
- Commit to serving for 1 academic year (fall/spring), with the opportunity to renew contract based on satisfactory performance
- Adhere to professional dress and conduct when representing Honors
- Represent the UF Honors Program through tours, Admissions and Honors events
Luminaries will gain:
- A close, meaningful working relationship with the Honors office
- Training opportunities to support responsibilities and individual career development
- Experience in public speaking and telling their own story
- A strong leadership network with peers and campus experts
- One Honors Enrichment point for a full year of satisfactory service
How to Join
Recruitment begins in early spring with a written application. An application link will be posted in the HoW and Honors Facebook page.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview, with position offers and training occurring in late spring. Students will be active the following academic year and expected to participate in information sessions and tours, (virtual or in-person to be determined). Well-performing Luminaries may serve for an additional year(s) if desired and available.
TehQuin D. Forbes, Recruitment and Transitions Coordinator