The John V. Lombardi Scholarship
John V. Lombardi, one of the University of Florida's most charismatic and popular presidents, led the university during the 1990s, a period of unprecedented achievement and growth. His visionary leadership and indomitable spirit instilled in students, faculty and alumni an aspiration to fulfill their greatest potential. During his tenure, the size and quality of the student body grew to even higher levels, faculty productivity increased, national rankings steadily improved, research funding doubled, and the university's endowment soared to almost $500 million. By the turn of the century, the university had ascended to the top tier of public research universities - a testament to the legacy of John V. Lombardi. The Scholarship was established in 2002 to honor Dr. Lombardi and his achievements at UF.
The Stamps Family Charitable Foundation sponsors scholarships for students at several universities including the Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Michigan, the University of Miami, and the University of Pennsylvania. In 2010, the Foundation established the Stamps Scholarship at the University of Florida to honor students for their scholastic achievement, integrity, and perseverance. Mr. Stamps has had a remarkable career as a venture capitalist and is a co-founder and managing partner of Summit Partners in Boston. He and his wife Penny live in South Florida.
The application cycle for 2016 is closed.
Nominees for this award will rank at or near the top of their class. Other criteria for selection include:
- Academic Achievement
- Service to the community
- Extracurricular involvement
- Demonstration of leadership
- Evidence of strong moral character
- Exceptional creativity
- Preference will be given to Florida residents
Application Timeline for 2017 selection will be available here August 2016
- September 2016: Application and Nomination Forms available here
- January 2017: Deadline for nominations
- February 2017: Telephone interviews for semi-finalists
- March 25, 2017: Mandatory interviews on campus for Finalists
- March 27, 2017: Scholarship offers made
- May 1, 2017: Public announcement of 2017 Lombardi & Stamps Scholars