The John V. Lombardi Scholarship
The Penelope W. and E. Roe Stamps IV Leadership Scholar Awards
John V. Lombardi, one of the University of Florida's most charismatic and popular presidents, led the university during the 1990s, a period of unprecedented achievement and growth. His visionary leadership and indomitable spirit instilled in students, faculty and alumni an aspiration to fulfill their greatest potential. During his tenure, the size and quality of the student body grew to even higher levels, faculty productivity increased, national rankings steadily improved, research funding doubled, and the university's endowment soared to almost $500 million. By the turn of the century, the university had ascended to the top tier of public research universities - a testament to the legacy of John V. Lombardi. The Scholarship was established in 2002 to honor Dr. Lombardi and his achievements at UF.
The Stamps Family Charitable Foundation sponsors scholarships for students at several universities including the Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Michigan, the University of Miami, and the University of Pennsylvania. In 2010, the Foundation established the Stamps Scholarship at the University of Florida to honor students for their scholastic achievement, integrity, and perseverance. Mr. Stamps has had a remarkable career as a venture capitalist and is a co-founder and managing partner of Summit Partners in Boston. He and his wife Penny live in South Florida.
Applicants must postmark their completed application form and letter of nomination from their high school principal or guidance counselor by January 30, 2015. Although students will not receive their admission decision until mid-February, applicants must be nominated prior to that date in order for the selections committee to review all applications. A blue-ribbon committee of faculty will choose up to eight Lombardi Scholars and up to three Stamps Scholars, based on the student's application, which includes an essay and an interview.
Lombardi Application 2015.docx
Lombardi Nomination Form 2015.docx
Each high school may nominate two students.
Nominees for this award will rank at or near the top of their class. Other criteria for selection include:
- Academic Achievement
- Service to the community
- Extracurricular involvement
- Demonstration of leadership
- Evidence of strong moral character
- Exceptional creativity
- Preference will be given to Florida residents
Application Timeline for 2014 Selection
- September 2014 - Announcements will be e-mailed to Florida high schools. Nominations and applications forms will be available on this website.
- January 30, 2015 - Deadline for nominations. All application packets must be postmarked by this date.
- March 9 - 13, 2015 - Telephone interviews for semi-finalists
- March 28, 2015 - Mandatory interviews on campus for finalists
- April 1, 2015 - Scholarship offers made to selected students
- May 4, 2015 - Public announcement of 2015 Lombardi & Stamps Scholars